WESLEYAN METHODISM in Sutton on Sea
As the village developed a new site was purchased and a chapel built to seat 230 people in 1887. A one-roomed school was added in 1890. The land for this cost £60 and two of the trustees were H. Stubbs and Benjamin Simons.
With the prospect of an increasing population a central plot of ground was purchased, the deeds are dated 29.12.1904 and the foundation stones were laid on Saturday 17th July 1909. The new church would accommodate 500 persons and a Sunday School for 200 scholars. The total cost including the site would be £4,500. Grants to the total sum of £2,500 were promised, leaving the sum of £2,000 to be raised.
The ministers manse was acquired on 1/8/1898. This was Summerfield - which is now a rest home for the elderly.
In 2001 after many years of planning and raising funds the Church began renovations to the main building, Half of the pews were removed - a partition wall was built making a good sized meeting room with new toilets and kitchen. Disabled access to both the church entrance and the meeting room - new central heating in the latter - improved lighting and facilities making it ideal for use in and by the community.
The second phase of the renovations are now in hand - that is for the re-decoration of the worship area and other improvements. There is a wonderful stained glass window in the church by William Morris -making Sutton Methodist Church one of only a few in the country with stained glass windows. The now redundant school room is to be sold with planning permission for residential development.
Membership of the Church is in the region of 47 members with more than that number on our community roll.